From 2015 to 2020, I lived in the Philippines, then in 2020 until 2022, I was living in Japan then the unexpected happened.
I spent about two months in London, about one month in Japan, stayed overnight in Singapore then six months in the Philippines. Became a travel writer for EATZCebu Magazine and an overnight TikTok sensation!
Followed by 36-hours in Dubai then nearly three months in the United States with 2-week trip to Spain and France in between. After the US, I had a 49-hour trip across 3 airports in Canada then arrived in Sydney, Australia and stayed there for three weeks before finally moving to Adelaide on December 29th, 2022.
Thanks to the RADelaide community, I have come to realise how colourful and unintentionally nomadic my life has been, and this is why I recommend living abroad and immersing yourself in a different country, culture and language.
- Going out of your comfort zone and the safety net of “home” by leaving the familiar behind will give you an opportunity to discover yourself and level-up on Maslow’s pyramid of self-actualization.
- Through exploring the unfamiliar environment, you will immerse yourself in a new culture, appreciate new flavours and foods, and socialise in a different language, which develops open-mindedness and adaptability.
- Enhance your problem-solving skills while building your self-confidence and self-esteem through socialising with strangers in passing or proactively participating in clubs, societies and/or volunteering! Joining new communities will help shape your friend groups who will overall impact your mental and emotional well-being, but also, enhance your way of thinking.
- A new place means a new routine! A different timezone can completely shift your schedule but the freedom of independence alone will allow you to freely fix your time which is an essential part of growing up.
- With independence comes goal-setting! Appropriately allocate time for work and play – invest into enriching hobbies, like weightlifting or rock climbing, reading books, or joining meet-ups for language learning. Whatever your goal may be, pursue it! Time can never turn back.
- Use social media wisely by checking-in with friends and family back home. I am sure they would love to hear your stories!
Like this article below if you found it helpful or leave a comment for what else you would like to learn about life abroad.